- RSS Channel Showcase 2617697
- RSS Channel Showcase 7615698
- RSS Channel Showcase 4071229
- RSS Channel Showcase 7069324
Articles on this Page
- 11/07/10--09:35: _Xfce alive and well...
- 01/16/11--12:59: _It has arrived: Xfc...
- 08/09/16--15:15: _Xfce goings on (Gtk...
- 08/16/16--02:21: _Greybird 3.20.0 (to...
- 09/05/16--09:31: _Preview: Per applic...
- 09/06/16--06:48: _Bugfixes incoming: ...
- 09/09/16--15:32: _Featurette: xfce4-n...
- 09/13/16--15:26: _Greybird 3.20.1 rel...
- 09/15/16--03:20: _xfce4-clipman 1.4.0...
- 10/01/16--13:23: _Improved media-key ...
- 10/02/16--14:08: _Another bugfix rele...
- 11/09/16--14:53: _xfce4-notifyd 0.3.4...
- 11/28/16--14:40: _Clipman 1.4.1 released
- 01/15/17--11:07: _Pidgin elementary s...
- 02/13/17--13:25: _Releases, releases,...
- 04/07/17--14:45: _Releases, releases,...
- 05/24/17--14:48: _The first Gtk+3 rel...
- 10/17/17--14:50: _New hotness: xfce4-...
- 10/28/17--15:50: _Second xfce4-panel ...
- 12/12/17--12:49: _xfce4-notifyd sees ...
- 11/07/10--09:35: Xfce alive and well: new version on its way
- 01/16/11--12:59: It has arrived: Xfce 4.8
- 08/09/16--15:15: Xfce goings on (Gtk+3 port etc.)
- 08/16/16--02:21: Greybird 3.20.0 (to be clear: with support for Gtk+3.20) released
- 09/06/16--06:48: Bugfixes incoming: xfce4-notifyd 0.3.1 released!
- 09/09/16--15:32: Featurette: xfce4-notifyd 0.3.2 released
- 09/13/16--15:26: Greybird 3.20.1 released (mostly bugfixes)
- 09/15/16--03:20: xfce4-clipman 1.4.0 (Gtk3 port) and libxfce4ui 4.13.1 released!
- 10/01/16--13:23: Improved media-key handling with xfce4-volumed-pulse 0.2.2
- 10/02/16--14:08: Another bugfix release for xfce4-notifyd: 0.3.3 is out!
- 11/28/16--14:40: Clipman 1.4.1 released
- 01/15/17--11:07: Pidgin elementary style
- 02/13/17--13:25: Releases, releases, releases!
- 04/07/17--14:45: Releases, releases, releases! Part 2
- 05/24/17--14:48: The first Gtk+3 release of xfce4-panel is out!
- 10/17/17--14:50: New hotness: xfce4-notifyd 0.4.0
- 10/28/17--15:50: Second xfce4-panel devel release, clipman and Greybird releases
- 12/12/17--12:49: xfce4-notifyd sees a new point release
On 7 November, Jannis Pohlmann announced the first preview release of Xfce 4.8. The new version of Xfce, which is planned to be released on January 16th, brings much-requested features, and will close a development cycle in which the project made great strides forward. Let’s first focus on the improvements coming in the next release [...]
The Xfce development team has announced the release of Xfce 4.8, the culmination of almost two years of work. The release makes Xfce once again a truly modern desktop environment by making use of recent desktop frameworks that, for example, finally allow you to browse remote shares or to edit the menu using a menu [...]
So I’ve been busy lately porting Xfce apps and components to Gtk+3 (you can see on the roadmap page for 4.14 that we’ve come some way already – only the really uncomfortable behemoths are missing 🙂 ) and since I’ve been working on apps which I haven’t touched before (and which haven’t really seen much … Continue reading "Xfce goings on (Gtk+3 port etc.)"
Finally – 5 months after the release of Gtk+3.20 – I’m happy to announce the release of the first version of Greybird supporting it. Why has it taken so long? – you may ask yourselves – and one reason was certainly me being totally busy with other things, but another one was that Ubuntu didn’t … Continue reading "Greybird 3.20.0 (to be clear: with support for Gtk+3.20) released"
As previously announced I’ve been working on per-application settings and a “Do not disturb” mode for xfce4-notifyd, which is Xfce’s notification daemon. Finally I’ve come to a point where I’m ok with pointing to the code and encouraging people to try it and spot potential issues with it. As both of these features have been … Continue reading "Preview: Per application settings and Do-not-disturb mode in xfce4-notifyd"
More good news in notification-land: I just released a new version of xfce4-notifyd – aka 0.3.1 – which fixes some nasty issues, amongst others memory leaks (thanks Tony!) an issue which caused build problems on Gtk<=3.18 systems (thanks Michał!) I also added a Help button which links to the docs I wrote for notifyd a … Continue reading "Bugfixes incoming: xfce4-notifyd 0.3.1 released!"
This release came a bit sooner than expected, but it’s primary goal is to fix a showstopper regression which slipped into 0.3.1 and practically rendered xfce4-notifyd useless on systems with Gtk+3 <=3.18 (i.e. not showing any notifications). Thanks to Olivier for noticing immediately and posting a patch! But while this had to be a fast … Continue reading "Featurette: xfce4-notifyd 0.3.2 released"
So the first bugfix release for Greybird 3.20 is here and while the changelog isn’t an overly exciting read, there are some goodies in this one! The single new feature in this – otherwise – bugfix release is a Greybirdy theme for Plank (a simple dock), contributed by Sean. Other than that I have tweaked … Continue reading "Greybird 3.20.1 released (mostly bugfixes)"
xfce4-clipman-plugin 1.4.0 released So finally I’ve decided to release xfce4-clipman-plugin 1.4.0, which is the Gtk+3 port of the plugin. For a while I was unsure whether to do a development or a stable release – to be clear: this was not a decision based on the stability of the product itself but the fact that … Continue reading "xfce4-clipman 1.4.0 (Gtk3 port) and libxfce4ui 4.13.1 released!"
Background So xfce4-volumed has been around a while and automagically handling your media keys – originally written by Steve around 2009 – but lingering unmaintained in Xfce’s Git repository. This version of the media-key daemon uses gstreamer 0.10’s mixer interface, which has been deprecated in gstreamer 1.0. It’s been almost as long that Lionel forked … Continue reading "Improved media-key handling with xfce4-volumed-pulse 0.2.2"
While I had planned to make the next release about features, I ended up fixing a few issues and doing a bugfix release instead. So 0.3.3 is about getting things right. Test-driven development Generally speaking Xfce has very few unit tests – or tests at all – but since Jerome had laid a foundation for … Continue reading "Another bugfix release for xfce4-notifyd: 0.3.3 is out!"
I’ve finally gotten round to doing a 0.3.4 release and get some of the features I’ve had ready for a while “out there”. On the way a lot of translation updates have trickled in and Christian Hesse supplied a patch to fix internal themes with Gtk+3.22. Features: As announced already a while ago, this release … Continue reading "xfce4-notifyd 0.3.4 released – Do not disturb and per application settings"
While I haven’t been very active in terms of clipman lately I decided to push out a maintenance release in the 1.4 series nevertheless, as some useful patches had piled up in the master branch. The probably single most important patch was contributed by Rinat and fixes the menu of clipman when used in a … Continue reading "Clipman 1.4.1 released"
Status icon theme A while ago I started working on making Xubuntu’s default messenger app Pidgin look a little more integrated by creating a status-icon theme for it. As Xubuntu relies on the wonderful elementary set for iconography (in a variant maintained by me which is while being distro agnostic slightly misleadingly labeled “elementary-xfce”) the … Continue reading "Pidgin elementary style"
So it’s not that I’ve been quiet and lazy – I was actually busy preparing some releases and hacking on stuff. So here’s an update on what’s been going on and what’s to come. xfce4-taskmanager 1.2.0 This is a new release which brings a handy feature, i.e. identifying windows by clicking on them. Just use … Continue reading "Releases, releases, releases!"
Testing Xfce Xfce – like many other open source projects – is not exactly following a test-driven development workflow. I would argue that we need a slight mindset change here plus we need some (standardized) infrastructure to make testing easier for people who want to get involved. Luckily what we have been waiting for in … Continue reading "Releases, releases, releases! Part 2"
After a looong waiting time – the original port of the panel was first kicked off in March 2013 by Nick – the first development release of the xfce4-panel is out and I am happy to say it is usable! 🙂 There are however some regressions and of course a lot of potential bugs that … Continue reading "The first Gtk+3 release of xfce4-panel is out!"
After quite some development time I have decided to push out xfce4-notifyd 0.4.0 today. This is not just a bugfix, but a feature-packed release. Panel plugin Among the biggest changes there is a panel plugin which displays the most recent notifications as well as allowing for quick access to the do-not-disturb mode. It also serves … Continue reading "New hotness: xfce4-notifyd 0.4.0"
Most of this post is fairly old news, but still worth to be mentioned. Also as a small gimmick (and because it was requested in my previous post), here is a gif of the new slide-out animation of xfce4-notifyd 0.4.0 I have read your comments and bugreports and have already been working towards some further … Continue reading "Second xfce4-panel devel release, clipman and Greybird releases"
After only 2 months of work I was today ready to release xfce4-notifyd 0.4.1 (thanks in part to Viktor’s fix for make distcheck) with a bunch of fixes and some small features too (and of course lots of translation updates). Features The panel plugin that was introduced in 0.4.0 received some attention, gaining a new … Continue reading "xfce4-notifyd sees a new point release"